3 years ago I tried rdesktop on a Windows 2000 advanced server. I found this remote desktop solution definitely better than VNC. The pros of RDP against VNC are :
- Separate user session (allow several user to work in same time on the same server).
- Faster (lower latency and bandwidth).
The good news is that a RDP server is included in Windows XP pro (it was not in w2k).
- The GNU RDP client: http://www.rdesktop.org
- The Redmond how-to: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/default.mspx
- A not lamer article on RDP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol
- A not lamer article on VNC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc